Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ideals

This is something I have been thinking a lot about lately and feel it's very applicable in my life right now.  We live in a world that teaches ideals.  Ideally you will be skinny, ideally you will find the perfect job, have the perfect family, live in the perfect neighborhood, drive the perfect car, live the perfect American dream.  It all sounds fantastic on paper but I have learned that in life, nothing is ideal.  Our world if full of gray areas in between the ideals.  Throughout my adult life there has been a lot of gray area; where dreams are made and broken.  What I do know for sure is that I love my life!  I am very blessed to have all the things I could ever want.  Nothing is perfect there are always things that could be better, things I would change.  I know that is all part of this journey we are on.  It's easy to look at other people's lives and assume that just because it's not what you would consider to be ideal that it's not working.  Often times what works for one person may not work for another.  It's also really easy to judge someone using our filter of what we think life should be when we really have no idea whats going on under the surface.  I guess my point is that we should not get so caught up in the ideals that are shown in the movies or TV as the things we should strive for.  If we throw those out and look for what we really want out of life and what is really important to us we will find our own ideals.  The things that deep down make us truly happy, not because someone else told us they should but because it's what we really want. 

No comments: