Monday, January 24, 2011

Starting the Fire!

When we got to the cabin it was 30 degrees outside and 31 degrees inside the cabin. First order of business was to get the fire started.  When the house was stocked with firewood from the last person the wood ended up being wet and was very hard to start.  Our solution was to use a blow torch!  This is the kind of torch that ranchers use to heat up brands to brand their cattle it was big and fun!  A great toy for the boys to play with.  It did take about 15 minutes with the torch before the fire actually started but it was entertaining so we did not mind.  Once we got the fire going I was hungry.  I did not want to cook anything big so I decided to cook a hot dog over the fire.  There were no roasters of any kind so I used a kitchen knife and a glove instead.  It worked out great!  We did eventually find a good roasting fork and ended up eating A LOT of hot dogs on our trip, makes me want one now!



No comments: