Friday, December 16, 2011

Can you Believe the Gall?

Yesterday morning as I was getting ready for work my stomach and lower back started to hurt.  I didn't pay much attention to it because this late in pregnancy pretty much any ache or pain is expected and no big deal.  As I was driving into work the pain progressively got worse.  By the time I dropped my boys off at daycare it was excruciating.  I drove to work and decided I needed to call my OB and see what they thought I should do.  I KNEW this was not labor pains but I was also worried that whatever was causing the pain could harm Tyson or send me into early labor.  Of course they told me to come right in and get checked out.  When I got there I had to wait in the waiting room for almost half an hour while they finished with their scheduled patients, that was miserable!  My doctor called me back, they checked my blood pressure, did the regular OB stuff and then checked my stomach.  He came to the conclusion that I either had a kidney stone or something wrong with my gallbladder.  I was sent up to the lab to have some blood work drawn and then sent over to an imaging center to have an ultrasound done on my abdomen.

By this time I was in so much pain it was virtually impossible to drive.  Every movement was excruciatingly painful, even breathing hurt.  I wanted to call someone to see if they could meet me at the imaging center but did not know who to call.  Terence was literally in the middle of an interview (and had no idea any of this was going on, I did not want to distract him) my Mom was on a plane somewhere, Dad was at work...I was in Kirkland in the middle of the day and pretty much on my own.  I somehow managed to make it over to the ultrasound where the tech did a pretty thorough exam.  After that they sent me on my way and told me the doctor would call me with the results.  I could not go back to work in the amount of pain I was in, I could not drive home so I drove over to my parents house and decided I would wait there until Terence was done with his interview. 

Terence called me around 1:45 at my request and I told him the situation and that I needed him to come get me. By then my doctor had called to confirm that I did indeed have a large gallstone.   Terence was on his way before he even got off the phone with me!  My knight in a tan Altima to the rescue!  He picked me up at my parents house drove both of us down to the boys daycare picked them up and then took me over to get my prescription.  Once we got home he took care of me and my every need.  Seriously he was amazing!  I love him so much and really appreciate all he did and does for me.

This morning as I write this I am still in a lot of pain!  Unfortunately the only treatment for a gallstone when you are pregnant is some pain medication and a very bland diet as fatty food can aggravate it.  Six weeks after Tyson is born I will have to see a general surgeon to determine if I need to have my gallbladder removed or not.  I am 36 weeks 1 day pregnant today, hopefully I can feel well enough to enjoy the last couple of weeks of this pregnancy. 

1 comment:

Jschmalle said...

WOW Jacki, that sounds terrible! I'm so sorry, I hope you start feeling some relief soon!