Wednesday, September 19, 2012

8/9 Months update

Suffice it to say that this post is a little late.  Considering the fact that Tyson will be 9 months on the 23rd I'm lacking in the update category.  But for my own records and memories I wanted to get this written so this will be an 8/9 month update.  I guess technically I'm late and early at the same time. 

I think it's official, we have a blue eyed baby!  I am not sure how it happened since Terence has his dark brown eyes and mine are hazel/green.  But Tyson's eyes are blue like the ocean.  They are absolutely amazing. 
Tyson also started really crawling this month and pulling himself up on furniture.  He has decided that his first word is Dada.  He does not say anything else but he sure knows that one.  He will also respond to you when you ask him a question with a "hmmm".
I think the most significant thing that happened in his 8th month was him being sick!  When I say sick I mean knock you off your feet and down for the count sick!  Tyson had been fussy and running a fever for a day or two but I didn't think much of it because, well, kids get fevers.  I was getting him dressed two days later and he had a rash on the small of his back.  That was more unusual so I showed it to Terence.
Again we did not think much of it because it didn't look too bad.  By the end of the day he had a full blown rash all over most of his body, was running a high fever, his eyes were BRIGHT red and he was playing with his ear.  I decided it was time to take him into the Doctor.  My guess was right, Tyson had hand foot and mouth, an ear infection and an eye infection.  He had just had an ear infection a few weeks earlier so the doctor put him on some stronger antibiotics and told me to watch his fluids and make sure he stayed hydrated.  There is not much else you can do for a sick little baby.  I did just that and hoped that over the next couple of days he would feel better.  He didn't.  In fact if anything I thought he was feeling worse.  He would lay awake all night crying, writhing all over the bed obviously in pain.  He did not want to eat, he could not sleep, playing was not on his agenda at all.  This was all over Labor day weekend so I kept trying to wait it out so I would not have to take him to the ER or urgent care.  Finally Tuesday rolled around and he was no better so I took him back to his regular doctor.  He looked him over and said that Tyson's throat was swollen and pussy, like strep.  It wasn't strep though, because kids Tyson's age apparently don't get strep.  Strange, huh?  Anyway that night he seemed to turn a corner because he slept for 8 hours in his crib.  After being up all night with him for 5 nights in a row it was much needed for both of us.  He started getting better and better in the days after that and by Friday he was pretty much himself again.  It was quit the adventure!  Both of my older boys had hand foot and mouth when they were babies but it was never as bad as what Tyson had.  One other thing that I really appreciated while Tyson was sick was how awesome his pediatrician was.  He called twice to check on him (once from his home on his day off).  I really appreciated knowing that Tyson was more then just a chart to him and an appointment on a schedule.  Oh and he got his teeth like three days after he was feeling better so he was actually teething on top of everything else.

Other Random Facts:
  • Tyson is crazy about his big brothers and like to follow them around any chance he gets
  • he is sleep trained and takes naps and sleeps in his crib at night
  • he is weening himself and is not super interested in nursing anymore
  • he eats like a horse (well maybe a mini pony)
  • we bought him a rear facing full size car seat as he is almost out of his infant seat
  • he no longer likes going to the Y and cries every time we are there
  • he is crazy about his Daddy!  Always has been!
  • he has two little teeth poking through!
  • we have tried to give him a sippy cup but he is not a fan
  • he loves baths and water (and likes to go swimming in the dog bowl)
  • he is starting to get stranger anxiety
  • he is very curious and will sit and look at something for a long time trying to figure it out
  • he needs a haircut again!

1 comment:

Emily's World said...

Your ahead! I still need to do my 3 month for Elizabeth.